Sunday, January 4, 2009

Cookies, Cross-Examination, and the Fine Art of Negotiation


I used to be rather timid in sales situations. I would not call me the pushover type, but rather the reluctant buyer. This all changed in 2002 when I took a job as a furniture salesman. Rather than fumble my way through the world of sales negotiation, I decided that during my down-time on the sales floor that I would attempt to learn everything I could about the art of the sale. This came easily as I found that most of the work week was spent doing absolutely nothing, waiting for the weekend rush. I read sales negotiation books, I learned everything I could about my products, and I worked on my presentation as often as possible.

Today I had the experience of negotiating with my 6-year-old Joshua, regarding a semi-frequent experience in the Ringer home...Milk & Cookies with dad. A bit of background:

Joshua is a child who LOVES the schedule. He enjoys knowing exactly what will happen and when it is happening. He does well at holding his parents to the schedule. When he recessed for Christmas vacation, he found himself with a lot of free time. Some children would find this a welcome relief, but not Joshua, as his schedule was interrupted and life as we know it was bound to end. So I began making a simple schedule with him each morning. Today's schedule included that blessed event 'milk and cookies with dad.' However, Cheryl had unwittingly gave him some candy as a result of good behavior early in the evening, and we thus felt that milk and cookies would be a bit much for our young child. The following exchange then occurred:

Joshua: But dad, it is ON THE SCHEDULE!!
Dad: I know, but you have already had a treat tonight.
Joshua: I really wanted milk and cookies tonight dad.
Dad: Well can you give me three good reasons why you should have it anyway?
Joshua pausing to think: Well, I really like how the cookies taste.
Dad: That is a good reason...can you think of any other reasons?
Joshua: Well, I didn't know that I wouldn't get milk and cookies when mom gave me the candy bar, or else I wouldn't have taken it. She never told me.
Dad: Hmmm...and your third reason?
Joshua: I like spending time with daddy.

Now I realize that this was part sincere and part one well-placed-card by my son, but I acquiesced as to the milk and cookies as a whole, and then attempted to mitigate the sugary damage:

Dad: Well I guess you can have them. But because you already had a treat, you can only have one cookie instead of three.
Joshua (after pondering a moment): Dad, a candy bar is a treat right?
Dad: Yes.
Joshua: And cookies are a treat too, right?
Dad (now recognizing that I had just walked blindly into a clever cross-examination): yes.
Joshua: Well then I think I need to get two cookies, because I only had one treat earlier.

My son got his two cookies. And I learned that all you need to do to learn the fine art of negotiation is take notes on a child who is in danger of losing cookies and milk.

3 comments:

  1. He must take after his father...

    C is for COOKIE - That's good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christopher Randolph Ringer.. my face hurts from laughing. i miss you guys. keep it up. i haven't laughed in months! (i'm getting married you know.. )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the conversation between you and your boy. He certainly was wise for his age and was a negotiator, indeed.

    ReplyDelete